Testure

Music from the empty quarter - Sticky

471 posts in this topic

griffo104 wrote:

Have to say I haven't listened to that album for years. Can't wait get home at the weekend now.

When I first went demoing hifi I used to take Pure by Godflesh with me, the hifi had to be able to handle the intensity and bass otherwise I wasn't buying it. The amount of dealers who questioned why I would want to listen to something like that was quality. I also, subsequently, never bought anything from them.

There used to be an excellent record shop in Liverpool, where a friend used to take me each time I visited, that had all these albums - bought about 10 albums each time I visited. Working Basildon at the moment - have to get on the train into London to get anything that isn't in the charts :x. Tempest and Swordfish (who released the first Godflesh album),in Birminghamwere also great places to get this sort of music.

Had the same problem with Hifi shops in London, looking like it was sacrilege playing "that noise" ontheir systems. Even had one miserable git, saying I was wasting his time if I listened to that. Went out of business the month later :lmao:

Was a student in Leeds in the late 80's, so was lucky that there where a number of decent independent shopsaround (Crash and Jumbo). Hardly buy from shops now. Get nearly everything from Germany http://www.infrarot.de/ (cheaper as well :))

griffo104 wrote:

There used to be an excellent record shop in Liverpool, where a friend used to take me each time I visited, that had all these albums - bought about 10 albums each time I visited.

..............Probe Records ????????

Regards

AdamK wrote:

griffo104 wrote:
There used to be an excellent record shop in Liverpool, where a friend used to take me each time I visited, that had all these albums - bought about 10 albums each time I visited.

..............Probe Records ????????

Regards

Yep that rings a bell. Used to walk in, the industrial stuff was off the the left, punk off to the right

AdamK wrote:

Hawk wrote:

Ive just been listening to the industrial global tag radio to see what it throws at me, there is also all these to try too!!!

• godflesh related

• terror ebm

• pigface related

W T F????:raoflmfao:

Testure

Who are the class leaders in these genres ????????

Regards

As you probably have realised by know Pigface and Godflesh are bands, which Griffo 104 knows more about than me.

Terror EBM - classical example Suicide Commando, very heavy pounding noisy beats with harsh distorted vocals. Usually find most tracks sound very similar

Where exactly does 'darkwave' fit into all this? It's a phrase I've seen mentioned before, but haven't heard it... assuming it's more ambient? Or is it totally opposite, discordant stuff? Or oddball stuff like Merzbow? Is there any connection to industrial gothic, seems to be popular amongst the goth crowd.

Below is brief Godflesh bio I did for a friend's webpage many moons ago - not quite up to date any more but has details of some of the earlier albums :

StreetCleaner was Godflesh's first full album released by Earache. At the time the band was just

Justin Broadrick (guitars & vocals) & G. Christian Green (bass) with the drums being performed by a machine.

For the second part of the album they are joined on guitars by Paul Neville to devastating effect as heard on the

title track. I took a big gamble buying this album and was blown away by the intensity it generated, in fact the

whole album was like nothing else I had heard at the time. Sometimes painful the rhythms and deep bass worked well

with the artificial personality of the drum machine. Stand out tracks for meare the afore mentioned title track

along with Chtistbait Rising, Dream Long Dead and Locust Furnace but in reality there isn't really a bad track

with the cd version having four extra tracks.

This album was followed up with Pure another stunning album which featured R. Hampson on guitar who had recently

split from Loop (another great band) who subsequently went on to form Main (another band worth checking out). Selfless followed and in my mind

is the weakest album the band has yet put out but does contain some stand out cuts such as Crush My Soul and the awesome Go Spread Your Wings.

Songs Of Love and Hate followed next and was a return to form for the band and also included a human drummer for the first time although I tend

to feel this removes some of the intensity when it was just a machine. Next release was a surprising Dub version of this album which works extremely

well (Love and Hate in Dub) and is one of their best releases. Their latest release is Us and Them and takes the 'Love and Hate' theme further.

Also look out for the self-titled debut mini album which was originally released on Swordfish records but was re-released by Earache.

P.S. The words above are mine and in no way reflect , blah blah blah.

I was a serious Godflesh fan at the time, but sadly cos they were on Earache records they kept being put with thrash bands.

fittedkitchens wrote:

Griffo104,

I did an interview w/ Justin when Godflesh played Belfast in 2000 for the Metal zine I wrote at the time. If yer interested, it's available online at:

http://www.livingdamned.com/fkotld/interviews/fk3/godflesh.shtml

Cheers,

Fittedkitchens

Fittedkitchens

Great write up. I saw Head Of David years ago at edward's No.8 in Brum but I think he had left the band by that time.

Another recommendation here for the the Swan's Great Annihilator, great album.

Have you got around to hearing any of the Jesu stuff yet ? Also got Ted Parsons on drums and Paul Neville playing guitar on a few tracks.

Darkwave: typically applied to music which is "dark" (gloomy, introspective) in nature, but more melodic than industrial.

It's a vague and diffuse genre, and the meaning has changed over time. Originally applied to bands such as Joy Division, the meaning changed in the 80's to encompass anything which sounded like Goth, but the band weren't wearing silly clothes or black eye-liner - eg. Dead Can Dance.

Now often used to describe bands that would have been Gothic back in the day (such as Cruxshadows, Type O Negative) as well as the slow, haunting music of bands such as Black Tape for a Blue Girl and the symphonic metal of Lacrimosaor Lacuna Coil.

meninblack wrote:

Darkwave: typically applied to music which is "dark" (gloomy, introspective) in nature, but more melodic than industrial.

It's a vague and diffuse genre, and the meaning has changed over time. Originally applied to bands such as Joy Division, the meaning changed in the 80's to encompass anything which sounded like Goth, but the band weren't wearing silly clothes or black eye-liner - eg. Dead Can Dance.

Now often used to describe bands that would have been Gothic back in the day (such as Cruxshadows, Type O Negative) as well as the slow, haunting music of bands such as Black Tape for a Blue Girl and the symphonic metal of Lacrimosaor Lacuna Coil.

Also bands like Arcana, Attrition spring to mind. Have to be honest get fed up with all these category definitions, don't really care what category a band fits into (that's if they actually fit nicely into the specified niche) just that I enjoy them.

griffo104 wrote:

Any recommendations on this stuff - I have the Type O Negative albums but that's about it.

I'll post some later when I have my CD collection to hand. ;)

Excellent thread, three day (further into the future than "one day") I will be acquiring some of these recos. Personal Likes in (or impinging-on) this genre(ish) include Swans, Lustmord, Cul de Sac, Stuart Dempster, Lightning Bolt, Amebix, Controlled Bleeding and Shellac. Top fave is BrickLayer Cake featuring ex-Shellac's Todd Trainer'sunique take on slowed-to-coma grindcore, s-s-sample: http://www.epitonic.com/files/reg/songs/mp3/Brick_Layer_Cake-Once_Upon_A_Skin.mp3

churz, eofs

griffo104 wrote:

Any recommendations on this stuff - I have the Type O Negative albums but that's about it.

Some track samples to give you a flavour:

Attrition:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/attrition-mp3/Acid_Tongue.mp3

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/attrition-mp3/Two_Gods.mp3

Arcana:

http://www.coldmeat.se/sounds/audio/arcana/arc_hymn.mp3

http://www.coldmeat.se/sounds/audio/arcana/arc_love.mp3