Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davewhityetagain

Another cd player I like the look of

33 posts in this topic

Looks really nice. One went through on ebay last week. About £700 if i remember rightly. Was half tempted as the matching amp was for sale as well.

Superb sounding player and the metal disc tray is a thing of complete and utter wonderfulness. I lost about 20 minutes just sitting and pressing the open/close button when ours arrived for review......:nerd:

Yeah I was watching that on eBay last week and was half-tempted. Went for £650 IIRC.

However, having seen one in the flesh, I can confirm that it looks absolutely minging and I was instantly turned-off by the wobblyness of the power switch - a very cheesy plastic thing that wouldn't last two seconds in the hands of a five year-old. The wooden side cheeks look awful. It is generally very wellbuilt though.

This review kinda put me off too. Said it's very bright: http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2008/yamaha_2000.shtml

Ultimately, I'd still be wishing for an Esoteric, so I'm waiting for a good price on one of those than buy another stop-gap player like the yammy.

DT

KT66 wrote:

is that an Ikemi transport?

looks nice - shame that SACD is 90% sh*ite

Don't think so as Ikemi wasn't two speed for SACD?

There is another one now as well- the CDS1000 which is £1250

Looks the same on the outside though.

Mike P wrote:

I dread to think what the residual value of this would be 18 months down the line...

Well, you're loosing 35% on it after two months, so probably not very good. Yammy are an "annual upgrade" company so I wouldn't be surprised to see a CD-S2000i in twelve months time...

Boxy!:minikiev:

Tons of Fun wrote:

KT66 wrote:

Interesting! Very close in price though. I wonder what differences (if any) there are. Copper shielding and nice badge with someone's signature on it?

DT

Beobloke...All the Yamaha cd players (and amp) I've heard sounded plain and un-exciting (so call the natural sound) Is this the case with their higher range also?

Dynamic Turtle wrote:

Tons of Fun wrote:
KT66 wrote:

Interesting! Very close in price though. I wonder what differences (if any) there are. Copper shielding and nice badge with someone's signature on it?

DT

Normally Yamaha do something more sophisticated than that ;). I may not be paying attention but the 1000 seems to mention dual differential whereas the 2000 doesn't. The old 396 and 496 amps had a very long life as well. Its only AV gear that keeps a 12-18 month cycle.

We have the CD-S2000 (£999), CD-S1000 (£799), A-S2000 (£1499) and A-S1000 (£899) on their way to use very shortly.

I heard the newer and cheaper 1000 series components on Tuesday and they wer very nice indeed. Build quality is excellent and the retro looks are pretty cool in my book although I'm this aspect of them will divide opinions.

If anyone in the Edinburgh is interested in a demo let me know.