Bradprada

3D TV users. Worth the upgrade?

40 posts in this topic

Anyone gone for the big screen (106") projector option?  We've got an old Philips 36" CRT and I'm thinking of keeping that but adding a projector and screen in the same sitting room.

if anyone has got a projector and big screen, but also a big TV (say 55"), do you still bother to use the projector?

Cheers. Bill

25 minutes ago, BilliumB said:

Anyone gone for the big screen (106") projector option?  We've got an old Philips 36" CRT and I'm thinking of keeping that but adding a projector and screen in the same sitting room.

if anyone has got a projector and big screen, but also a big TV (say 55"), do you still bother to use the projector?

Cheers. Bill

I have both, and used the big screen just last week to view a couple of Laser disc music concerts and films (Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush). The 55" is the main TV in the lounge, and gets the most use, though the 3D effect soon proved to be just a novelty, and has not been used since viewing one film on 3D Blueray. 

I would guess that for most people with a decent TV & a projector system in the same room, the projector would be used for movies & having people over, where as the tv would be for casual, " everyday" type viewing.

4 hours ago, Bolosun said:

I leapt on the 3D bandwagon fairly early on with a LG 55" screen and passive glasses. Also have a 3D projector with active glasses, but don't use that as much for 3D films. I still buy the 3d version of a film if it is available and enjoy 3d movies. The best films are the ones that use the 3D element to enhance the film and not use it as a gimmick or make the viewer go wow that was in in 3D.

Completely agree with this.

1 hour ago, BilliumB said:

Cheers. Bill

I have two projectors. The first is several years old and second was added a couple of years ago for it's 3D capability. Considering its modest price (for a projector) it provides remarkable results. It's a BenQ W1080 and is pretty compact, small enough to be used on a coffee table or stand and put away after a film showing, which may be advantageous if you are using it in a living room. It is a DLP type projector which in my opinion provides a 'punchier' picture than that from LCD, LCOS & D/ILA type projectors. I much prefer 3D from DLP type projectors if that is a consideration for you.

If your projector is going to be permanently fixed in place; make sure you work out the 'throw distance' of any projector you shortlist. Projectors are a great way to enjoy films and make the event feel like a special occasion. I don't have a TV in the same room I have my projectors; but I think they are complimentary not competing devices - you wouldn't want to fire up the projectors to watch the news headlines!

Had a 3D tv for 3-4 years .. Maybe more ( time flys). A total waste of time. 

The novelty value sustained our intrest for a few months but after that ... No so much. 

I have to say, after going to the cinema and looking out for 3D releases when this latest incarnation of 3D fashion took hold , these days I don't even think about watching films in 3D at the cinema. 

If you do watch 3D films at the cinema and really enjoy it then of course recreating that at home might be desirable .. 

Edited by atomic606

Clearly personal.

I sometimes watch a 3D film on my TV (55 1080p OLED) but I don't actively seek them out.

I like 3D but wouldn't be bothered to get it on a TV again, I think it needs to be on a projector ( or larger TV) to fill a larger field of vision.

I would actively choose a projector with 3D as I really enjoy the larger picture and the effect this has

I also find that 30 or so mins into a film my eyes adjust and start to loose the 3D effect. Closing one eye or pausing momentarily seems to re-set me lol

Thanks for the really detailed answers guys. I think I might have to try one of the models Jelly mentioned with my own eyes before counting 3D totally off (within a showroom first of course).

Though I do not know if I would fork over the money if support really is dropping. I wonder if at 4k things start to become indistinguishable to the eye, what the next big updates to visual entertainment will be?

The next big update? 

8k is on the way. However, until the major traditional channels start broadcasting in at least 4K, its appeal will be hamstrung.

broadcasting in 4K is pretty expensive due to the required bandwidth, so the Beeb will not be doing it for a while yet.

LG will be ( or maybe just have at CES?) rolling out their "wallpaper" screen, only a few mm thick, & flexible. Mounted to the wall magnetically on a metal plate! Doubt it'll be cheap though.

Apparently, other brands will be able to start marketing their own OLED screens, which up until now, LG have had the patent on.

That should be enough to keep the market rolling on for a while.