• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Bradprada

3D TV users. Worth the upgrade?

61 posts in this topic

Super Wammer

Would be interested in the opinions of people who have lived with one for a while.

We've ended up, at present, staying with a decent-sized normal screen. Having investigated all the curved screens, 4K and 3D, it seems to me that none are actually any better a viewing experience than we already have, at least not with the massive majority of material.

My plan this year is to do more work on the AV side of things, by upgrading some speakers. I might look at a larger screen, but I doubt it'll be 3D.

Super Mod

I don't have one, but 3D seems to be a fast-waning fad.  Panasonic and Sony have dropped it from all but the massive Chav models, and you don't see that many new 3D films.

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, meninblack said:

I don't have one, but 3D seems to be a fast-waning fad.  Panasonic and Sony have dropped it from all but the massive Chav models, and you don't see that many new 3D films.

Glad it's not just me. That's exactly how I see it. I've done all the demos, and I thought they were awful. Totally unrealistic, except for the specially made videos to show off the technology. Near zero media to actually use, so it seems pointless.

Super Mod

There may be a point to 4k, but mainly if you have a very large screen.  There are a few 4k films appearing now.  OTOH, all US HDTV content is 720p, and that looks fine on anything up to 40".  I'm sure you can go a bit bigger with 1080p blu-ray.

Super Wammer

Main Av setup is 50". 1080 BR and upsampling DVD. To be honest, I can't say we're missing anything frankly. Maybe 4k would be an improvement, but like everything else, only if there is enough available media to make it worthwhile. Blu-ray on the Panasonic player is more than good enough for me, and I'm a fussy bugger.

The 4K I have seen frankly looks no better than what we have and the 3D is a gimmick that I couldn't live with.

I'll spend the difference on a better cartridge :)

18 minutes ago, meninblack said:

Did not know that Panasonic and Sony were starting to drop it.

I really wonder if there would be a place for it in the future.

Do any of you have a 4k tv? Is that a lot more worth it? Specially someone with a not very large screen as I have neither the space or need for something too large.

I think 3D is stunning; the biggest advance in 'Home Cinema' I have ever experienced and my 'Home Theatre' days started with Betamax.

When 3D launched I was initially unimpressed. Poorly set up TV's and flickery active 3D glasses made for underwhelming viewing. A couple of years ago I bought a cheapish LG TV for our spare room. It was 3D capable; so I decided to try some of the few 3D Blu-rays I had and was gob smacked by how good it was. A friend came over and was so stunned by the 3D that within a week he had sold his newish TV and replaced it with the same model of TV that I bought. I find the sense of depth just makes the viewing experience more real.

There are other people who don't get on with 3D and some who hate it. Some people like 3D but find it headache inducing as their eyes struggle with 3D. If your only experience of 3D is at the cinema; you will be pleased with 'home 3D'. It is superior in every way apart from scale.

I can only suggest that you watch some 3D material on a decent TV and decide for yourself. I would recommend trying 'passive' 3D if you can. The newer 4K sets really do show 3D  at it's best. Although 3D is limited to 1080p; upscaled it looks phenomenal.

If you decide that 3D is for you; don't hang around. TV manufacturers have given up on the format and few (if any) of the 2017 models will support 3D. After years of encouraging us to buy 3D; the consumer electronics industry have decided to crap on their most loyal customers. The 2017 models will start to arrive in early spring; so you don't have long to pick up a new 3D capable TV.

Do look at the current LG OLED TV's; their picture quality is superb and the passive 3D stunning. If you are feeling rather flush with money; also look at the Loewe sets. They use LG OLED panels but use their own picture processing.

If 3D isn't for you; I will be selling a rather excellent Pioneer Kuro plasma TV as soon I get one of the last 3D TV's made....

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Bradprada said:

Did not know that Panasonic and Sony were starting to drop it.

I really wonder if there would be a place for it in the future.

Do any of you have a 4k tv? Is that a lot more worth it? Specially someone with a not very large screen as I have neither the space or need for something too large.

No. And probably wouldn't, as above.

We don't have a massive room, and a 50" HD is more than enough with blu-ray and DVD upsampling. Or frankly, normal DVD for that matter. There remains precious little support for 'normal' HD in terms of broadcast channels, so I remain doubtful that 4K will get massive support. Been there, done it. These days, I won't buy into any tecnology like that until there is sufficient support in terms of available media. There are precious few sources of HDTV at present, and as far as I can see, 4K is pie in the sky.

You can have the best TV system in the world, but if the media to play on it isn't available, it's just a massive waste.

Far better to put the funds (less fo them) into a really good HD screen and blu-ray player, IMHO.

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Jelly Tussle said:

TV manufacturers have given up on the format and few (if any) of the 2017 models will support 3D. After years of encouraging us to buy 3D; the consumer electronics industry have decided to crap on their most loyal customers. The 2017 models will start to arrive in early spring; so you don't have long to pick up a new 3D capable TV.

Is that not the whole point?

If the hardware is being abandoned, then why bother? It's a dead format. It is going the same way as Betamax. Unsupported, with no media to play on it.

Possibly, the manufacturers have realised what the market wants. And it isn't their unrealistic, gimmicky 3D.

Super Mod

For many, the future of cinema seems to be pirated video watched on your phone.

As 4K has been mentioned.....

I've seen 4K (sourced from UHD Blu-ray) twice so far and have been underwhelmed. I find it to be a grossly inferior experience to watching 1080p 3D. That said; I'm not sure if my viewing experience was optimal and so I will reserve judgement on the format. There is more to 4K than a fourfold increase in resolution. There is a wider colour gamut and a higher dynamic range. HDR is something of a minefield with different flavours of HDR available and more to come and, of course, not every 4K TV supports every type of HDR. If 4K is something that people are interested in; I would suggest waiting until the format and the hardware are more mature.

I'm going to buy a 4K TV, but not for 4K, but for the best possible reproduction of 1080p 3D.

7 minutes ago, rabski said:

Is that not the whole point?

If the hardware is being abandoned, then why bother? It's a dead format. It is going the same way as Betamax. Unsupported, with no media to play on it.

Possibly, the manufacturers have realised what the market wants. And it isn't their unrealistic, gimmicky 3D.

There may be no point for the OP.

On the other hand he may of course decide the experience is so good that he will still buy into it. There are many hundreds of 3D films available to buy (many dirt cheap) and many still being released including almost every major film released in the cinema in 3D.

The most annoying thing about the cessation of 3D TV's is that it not based on a decline in sales of 3D software...

13 minutes ago, rabski said:

And it isn't their unrealistic, gimmicky 3D.

I'm not sure which universe you occupy; but mine is three dimensional.

I find 3D films a more realistic depiction of the world I live in; unlike the flat 2D films that compresses three dimensions into two...

But of course; each to their own.

Super Mod

For me films are about the story, script and the acting before any childish special effects.  Each to their own though.  I'll watch my black-and-white Ingmar Bergman films, others can enjoy Toy Story 3D...

Edited by meninblack