• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
PhilofCas

New car tax rates 1st April 2017

19 posts in this topic

End of free road tax for many

First heard of this yesterday, anyone else not know about it?

Seems sure to stir things up somewhat !

Super Wammer

Yes I had heard about this, but did not know the figures. Thanks for the heads up.

If I am following that table correctly it is much cheaper for many high CO2 cars already on the road from April 17. Seems mainly new cars with high CO2 are wearing the brunt of the changes.

Super Wammer

Looks like mine is dropping £10 a year I am paying £30 a year 

FIAT Panda 1.3 16v Multijet Dynamic diesel 

109 G/KM now looks like its £20 a year ?

Edited by Audio Al

There are too many cars on our roads these days, and too many motorists who are happy to break motoring laws and regulations. I'd be happy to go back to the paper based tax system, where it is obvious to all who don't have a Tax Disc, and likely no MOT or Insurance.

The roads have been badly neglected, and the transport system is going backwards, or in the case is Southern rail, not at all.

More Tax, and more enforcement of regulations might help the situation.

9 hours ago, Mondie said:

If I am following that table correctly it is much cheaper for many high CO2 cars already on the road from April 17. Seems mainly new cars with high CO2 are wearing the brunt of the changes.

Existing cars keep their current tax rates (pretty much). New high CO2 cars (resigistered 1/4/17 onwards) are hammered in the first year, then fall back to a flat fee of £140/year (as do very low CO2 cars too), sort of back to how it used to be.

6 hours ago, Audio Al said:

Looks like mine is dropping £10 a year I am paying £30 a year 

FIAT Panda 1.3 16v Multijet Dynamic diesel 

109 G/KM now looks like its £20 a year ?

Looks like it

5 hours ago, jkbmusic said:

There are too many cars on our roads these days, and too many motorists who are happy to break motoring laws and regulations. I'd be happy to go back to the paper based tax system, where it is obvious to all who don't have a Tax Disc, and likely no MOT or Insurance.

The roads have been badly neglected, and the transport system is going backwards, or in the case is Southern rail, not at all.

More Tax, and more enforcement of regulations might help the situation.

That might presume that any significant proportion of the tax revenues raised from Taxing motorists, actually gets spent on roads and transport systems. ;-)

1 hour ago, Chumpchops said:

That might presume that any significant proportion of the tax revenues raised from Taxing motorists, actually gets spent on roads and transport systems. ;-)

Not at all, as little of the taxes raised by VEL, Petrol, VAT, etc., are actually spent on roads. 

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

Not at all, as little of the taxes raised by VEL, Petrol, VAT, etc., are actually spent on roads. 

Cars started being taxed in 1920 as local councils had to start registering all vehicles. It was called Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and was based on horsepower. Tax discs were later introduced in 1921.

This new tax was initially used for building and maintaining roads. As it was paid directly into the ‘road fund’ it was known as the Road Fund Licence or road tax.

In 1936, road works were being paid for by government grants. As the road fund wasn’t needed any more, it was abolished in 1955. So while it might have been right to refer to it as road tax or the Road Fund Licence before 1936, this hasn’t been the case since.

Courtesy of Wiki,

"In the United Kingdom, vehicle excise duty was introduced in 1889, and between 1920 and 1 October 2014[8] the vehicle licence, colloquially known as a "tax disc", came in the form of a paper disc 75 millimeters in diameter to be displayed on the inside of a vehicle's front windscreen, and was evidence that the necessary vehicle excise duty had been paid for the vehicle.

From 1 October 2014 the physical paper disc was no longer issued, with enforcement of the taxation now being done through the automatic number plate recognition system.2

16 hours ago, greybeard said:

Yes I had heard about this, but did not know the figures. Thanks for the heads up.

'Heads up'? Are we amurrican now?

From the 'get-go' I suppose.......

As to tax monies.  If money from car tax, plus petrol tax, was put into roads, they'd all be (metaphorically) gold plated by now.

I think I read that many cities are putting road repairs 'on hold' this year!

Today we read that 'Boris' watercannons had £1K hi-fi systems in them, so you can judge that the money is being well used!

Edited by Hornucopia

So you like going around in circles then :?.

On 14/12/2016 at 09:37, PhilofCas said:

Existing cars keep their current tax rates (pretty much). New high CO2 cars (resigistered 1/4/17 onwards) are hammered in the first year, then fall back to a flat fee of £140/year (as do very low CO2 cars too), sort of back to how it used to be.

Looks like it

That doesn't seem fair on drivers of older cars.

My father's car costs him over 500 quid a year to tax, but a brand new one of the same spec / emissions would cost only 140 ?