Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take up to 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neilb

Can of Worms

23 posts in this topic

Neilb wrote:

jagdesign wrote:
Biscuit wrote:
how to lose respect:

1) Start making all your high end products 'Limited Edition'

2) Sell off excess stock of said 'Limited Edition' [arf] products dead cheap to kill s/h prices

3) Release a new model every few months to further shaft your early adopters on the s/h market

4) Make outrageous claims about power requirements for hi-fidelity

5) When said outrageous claim doesn't have desired effect on sales, back track by releasing a low output 'Class A' amplifier from the old days

6) Make said old product look like a POS

7) Relax at a job well done

Spot on,

ohand "poor man's Densen", really???

Maybe not so poor judging from the price Dave discovered. It was the brushed finish and the black case work aesthetic that reminded me of Densen.

For that price just buy a Densen. Give me a slightly used B400xs any day!!

What transport has a Densen ?

Biscuit wrote:

how to lose respect:

1) Start making all your high end products 'Limited Edition'

2) Sell off excess stock of said 'Limited Edition' [arf] products dead cheap to kill s/h prices

3) Release a new model every few months to further shaft your early adopters on the s/h market

4) Make outrageous claims about power requirements for hi-fidelity

5) When said outrageous claim doesn't have desired effect on sales, back track by releasing a low output 'Class A' amplifier from the old days

6) Make said old product look like a POS

7) Relax at a job well done

I have full respect for that!

I mean most people do know that MF do all of above but they are still top 5 of most popular hifi brand in the world imo. Great marketing manager :^

In fairness to Musical Fidelity, only inveterate box swappers are going to be affected by their policy of continuous product renewal - most purchasers will hang onto their amp or CDP for 5-10 years or more. MF are just keeping up with the pace of things e.g. the A5.5 integrated amp with built in DAC.

Epos are dumping speakers as I type.

No-one seems to mind that Cambridge Audio release revised versions of their products every 12-18 months or so - I'm very strongly considering an 840C to use as a CDP and DAC, but I am wary that a V2 might be around the corner very soon so will probably hang on for another 6 months.

No-one complains that the price of CDs are falling - it is afterall virtually a legacy format :brick:

Personally speaking, the resale value of my A3.5 amp has probably taken a big hit given the nature of MF's stock dumping policy - but considering that I used my previous integrated for 22 years it's not something that I'm going to worry about quite yet ;). However, I've gained significantly by managing to pick up a new X-LPSv3 for £129 (rrp £250) and new X-PREv3 for £219 (rrp £800) as I slowly build a second system and add to my existing one.

If anything, MF can be commended for revealing and highlighting the real worth of hifi gear. Afterall, if I can buy an £800 component for £219 and MF and the dealer are still making a profit, how much were their profits on the original RRP?

ultrawomble wrote:

I'm very strongly considering an 840C to use as a CDP and DAC, but I am wary that a V2 might be around the corner very soon so will probably hang on for another 6 months.

Off topic, there isn't. The normal lifespan of our products 18-24 months and the 840C has at least another 12 months. The 840A got changed in less time than that for one off reasons.

Tons of Fun wrote:

ultrawomble wrote:
I'm very strongly considering an 840C to use as a CDP and DAC, but I am wary that a V2 might be around the corner very soon so will probably hang on for another 6 months.

Off topic, there isn't. The normal lifespan of our products 18-24 months and the 840C has at least another 12 months. The 840A got changed in less time than that for one off reasons.

Many thanks for the info ToF - much appreciated.:^

ultrawomble wrote:

- but considering that I used my previous integrated for 22 years it's not

:shock:

if I can buy an £800 component for £219 and MF and the dealer are still making a profit, how much were their profits on the original RRP?

I suspect that now production is overseas they cost pennies to make

That said this new cd player will have the same transport as the 15k Naim player and its used in many other very high end transports and cd players its a 170 euros just for that transport ok, they buy enough they will get them cheaper, but you have to agree with them its one of the best transports and I cant think of a player less than 3k with it in nor a tranport only under £1,700 its a bargin :)

Davewhityetagain wrote:

ultrawomble wrote:
- but considering that I used my previous integrated for 22 years it's not

:shock:

Yeah, a Denon PMA-707. Gives 25 watts into 8 ohms, 35 into 4. Supposedly the first Japanese amp tuned to a 'British sound'. Bought it for £140 with earnings from my Friday evening + Saturday job on the tills at Tesco :zip: whilst doing A-levels. It survived 7 years of university, countless moves, a burglary and pet rats that enjoyed chewing on the mains cable :shock: - and I've still got it in its original though very battered box :D

ultrawomble wrote:

In fairness to Musical Fidelity, only inveterate box swappers are going to be affected by their policy of continuous product renewal - most purchasers will hang onto their amp or CDP for 5-10 years or more. MF are just keeping up with the pace of things e.g. the A5.5 integrated amp with built in DAC.

Epos are dumping speakers as I type.

No-one seems to mind that Cambridge Audio release revised versions of their products every 12-18 months or so - I'm very strongly considering an 840C to use as a CDP and DAC, but I am wary that a V2 might be around the corner very soon so will probably hang on for another 6 months.

:goodone:You are right. There is a flip side to every coin. MF are essentially victims of their own productivity. They obviously spend quite a bit on R&D as well as marketing as their constant stream of new products shows. Some may be gimmicky (superchargers perhaps), but not all are bad. Far from it. Its absolutely correct that its basically only us box swappers who get pissed of with this. A high performance amp will always be a high performance amp for at least 10-15 years right? You could let yourself actually enjoy it if you weren't constantly sitting there thinking about flogging it.