Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonjin

Modding the KEL84

18 posts in this topic

jonjin wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:
jonjin wrote:
Considered this over and over... but heard the Teflons sound harsher (?more truthful). PIOs were warmer but can sometimes be muddier/smeary but I suspect this could be due to long burn in time? Anyways, who knows without trying...

I'm hoping the combination of lean Halcos and warm PIOs will work out well.

JJ

I wouldn't say the Teflons are harsh. I guess you could accuse them of being a bit lean in the wrong circuit, but they have a clarity and sweetness that is hard to match. At $2 each, you can afford to get them as well and try them! :D

Removing the metal case improves them no-end.

I think I opened a can of worms on this (PIO v Teflon bla bla bla). I thought cable wards were never-ending... it's a good thing most people don't know about the never ending combinations of capacitor materials :shock:

FWIW, I'm going to have a punt on some Teflons as well. All I need to do now is learn how to dissect them.

JJ

A pipe cutter (as in one of those rotary ones which you twist, for plumbing) works really well.

jonjin wrote:

Thanks... but did you reseal them and change the pins/leads?

JJ

It was a friend actually - he wraps them in roofing felt type stuff and seals the ends with epoxy or such. They sounded better than theun-messed-about-withones.