Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zebra100

Test track/CD

5 posts in this topic

I have a few favorite tracks which I use for testing kit. For the system balanceI use "God only Knows" By the Beach Boys from Pet Sounds (Mono). It tests the full range and being mono gives a direct comparison between Chanel's. Especially good after component changes.

For sound staging I use "On the run" from Dark Side of the Moon, followedwith "Keep the Faith" by Bonjovi. The foot steps in thePink Floyd track give a goodindication of the overall sound stage and theBonjovi trackis good for revealing integration (or lack of it).

Forvocals I use Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush (loveit or hate it). Thisreally puts the system through its paces. Any harshness or mushin the vocal range is easily revealed by this track.

My final test track is "O Fortuna" - Orff. Starts off nice and quiet, then explodes, testing the full range to the maximum. Any lack of headroom will be easily exposed by this beauty.

I'm interested to know what other people are using?

zebra100 wrote:

My final test track is "O Fortuna" - Orff. Starts off nice and quiet, then explodes, testing the full range to the maximum. Any lack of headroom will be easily exposed by this beauty.

O-fortuna ???? Do you mean 'Carmina-Burana', only because I sung that when I was in the school choral society, and it was the in-game music to the best game, with the best title in the world: 'WARGASM'

Lol, right my test tracks:

Massive Attack - Angel

Imogen heap - Say goodnight and go

Madonna - Anything off 'confessions on a dancefloor'

We are scientists - With love and squalor album

Madonna, "Drowned World/Substitute" - William Orbit production has such precise location of sounds-

Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in Dminor - great for scale, bass, presence, ambience.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley - if you don't feel this and forget the hifi, it isn't working

Dire Straits - Why Worry - crystal clear and good depth to the stage.

Tschaikovsky - 1812 Overture

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Tamacun

Susperia - Distant Memory

Prince - Little Nikki