• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dik Dolan

Hifi collective amp kit

28 posts in this topic

I just started building a hifi collective 300b SET amp kit, here is a work in progress pic

dcp00252gt.th.jpg

I start on the solder sniffing part tomorrow, wish me luck=)

Thanks=)

It is designed by Andy Grove, so there is an audionote connection I guess. It really is a great kit, casework is very nicely finished, transformers weigh 5 kg each.... it's making me sweat moving it around to work on it now:shock:

Andy Groves . what a designer . Anyone remeber the Onkarus monos he made.

lilolee wrote:

You may want to pop over to http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/as a couple of guys over there have already built this.

Thanks, I'm already a registered lurker there.

So far it's going together well, but much slower than I first estimated.... this is my first project that uses tagstrips and hardwiring.... requires more thinking than I am used to :shock:

http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp00288qd.jpg

Thanks Kiang.

It is mostly solid core silver plated teflon covered wire, and yep I agree it still needs tidying up, it's not quite finished yet, still a little more wiring to do andno cable ties used yet=) Some wires I have left deliberately long for now, like the ones from the transformers to the tag boards. I will leave 'em like that untilI start on the upgrades..makes changing stuff easierI think, and hopefully wont induce too much hum... we'll see...

Soldering iron is a cheapy maplins 25w job. As soon as I finish this coffee I'll get to it,I want to hear it sing today!

From 1st turn on, no smoke, buzzing, hummimg or farting noises - a good start. It has a beautiful delicacy with a pure openness that makes me want to keep listening to record after record. As it warmed up the sound gained in tonal colour and depth, can't wait to hear what it sings like when it's fully run in. ( takes 100 hours or so according toNick at hificollective.)

I was half expecting it to struggle driving my 89db-ish transmission line speakers, but so far it's got more drive and grip than Arnies wanking hand. This thing has HUGE transformers, with a seriously well designed power supply.

It looks great, sounds fabulous- i'm very impressed by the kit, and feel well chuffed with myself, too=) Must fight off thoughts of blackgates, paper in oil caps, silver this n' thats...for at least a week=)

The only pic I have of the finished amp so far is this one :

http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=itlives4zt.jpg