rockmeister

quick oven temp advice pls

9 posts in this topic

beef stew in red wine...want it to simmer so so slowly for several hours, NOT boil, in an electric fan oven. I'll warm it firston the top plate, but at what temp should I set the oven? 160 enough??

Ta!

Probably a bit lower for fan. 140

beef stew in red wine...want it to simmer so so slowly for several hours, NOT boil, in an electric fan oven. I'll warm it firston the top plate, but at what temp should I set the oven? 160 enough??

Ta!

Ta!

If the pot is covered and it's for 4 hours + 100 C will be fine it will soon be boiling over at 160c

If the pot is covered and it's for 4 hours + 100 C will be fine it will soon be boiling over at 160c

Agreed. 140C in a fan oven for 4+ hours is too high imho. Slow and low is the way to go.

I would also recommend a good oven thermometer, it turned out our bosch ovens are both dead on, but i have heard of 15 or 20 degrees out

19 hours ago, Martin D said:

I would also recommend a good oven thermometer, it turned out our bosch ovens are both dead on, but i have heard of 15 or 20 degrees out

I'd second that. Cooked a bit of beef yesterday and I had to turn the oven down to 50 to achieve 70 in reality.

Usually use my old sugar thermometer which seems correct.