graystoke4

Big amps big systems

107 posts in this topic

I like cars that are gentle and easy to drive. The more automated the better. I leave hard-to-drive to the Lycra brigade, or the motorised equivalent.

S

If VW made speakers they'd claim sensitivity of 110dB but for some strange reason still need a Krell to drive them :rockin:

Where are the guys in this forum, with the big Krells , Audio Research, Spectral

amps... all i see is iv'e got a naim nait , or a tedy pardo, yes they might be OK amps but you can't beat real power, ( if your grandmother can pick up your amp you need a bigger one ) and big speakers, you need head room from a amp, which small amps simply don't have, to move air you need big drive units, it's just the math's, so come on , out yourself with the big great sounding systems and make yourself heard

me im am playing know Spectral DMC30ss mk 2 pre and Spectral DMA 360 mk2 300 watts , through Wilson Audio Sash's and it sounds bloody good to me ,hifi has always been about the madness and power of a system lets not loose that sight biggrin.gif:)

I am here mate.

600w into 8 ohms, 1200w into 4 ohms and 2400w for 2 ohms with 92 db efficient speakers. Generates about 118db at 12 feet which can just about represent a full rock band or an orchestra in full flow.

It is not so much the sheer loudness possible but more the ease it has when reproducing loud music, especially bass passages. The advantage of the older Krells is that they can do all that, with subtlety. A loud orchestral piece of music actually moves people's emotions by having sheer impact as well as subtlety.

Plastic fake bass?? Try Audionote Es in a corner with 1.8w playing Pink Floyd when Roger Waters hits a low E note on a bass guitar......Not its forte.... unless you have Kegon balanced amps.

I appreciate both and put up with the really hot, heavy amps because of how they play music, whether it is a really really hot amp like the Krells or the cooler valve amps.

Plastic fake bass?? Try Audionote Es in a corner with 1.8w playing Pink Floyd when Roger Waters hits a low E note on a bass guitar......

I'm usually asleep by the time Roger Waters hits a low E so I guess it's not that important to me.

I'm usually asleep by the time Roger Waters hits a low E so I guess it's not that important to me.

:rofl:

Get in!

My valve monobloks are about 100lbs each and speakers 175lbs each, so I'm very satisfied with the weight situation. I'm almost the same weight as my speakers - a critical test in my book!

250w Devialet runs my G1's to insane levels , 93 db efficient .. devialet weighs about 15lbs or so ...

I also have 4-12 kw of sub power , 2 x SVS sb13 ultras and a further 2 on order at 1-3kw each

I tried a few powerhouse heavyweight amps on the G1's , more power didnt make them sound any better

Yesterday I went to audition Avantgarde trios , 110db efficient , driven by 100w Unison research monoblocks and 2 gryphon Pentdragon sub towers doing bass duty .. around 1kw each (actives)

At one point , on my cel , we measured average levels of 105 db and peaks of 115+ at the 4 meter listening position .. maximum assault with a "mere" 100w .

Im sure even 20w into the Trios would have worked as well as the 100w amps

I also ran Osborn epitomes , with 95 db efficiency with 3 small 8w T amps which weigh about 6 oz each , also to insane levels, the 3 amps are on top of the mdac in the middle .. speakers came in at around 500lbs for both

554237_146953365485273_1710457293_n.jpg?oh=f6166730fc374079bbe6ae66e349bdf9&oe=56C6486C&__gda__=1456655087_b09a7318751beb09298d34a6ed32b221

Have we decided which piss highest up the wall yet?

If VW made speakers they'd claim sensitivity of 110dB but for some strange reason still need a Krell to drive them :rockin:

Come on Chris, get over it.

You coming over any time soon?

as my wife allways says its not the size that's important - not quite sure what she means mind you!:yeah:

I'm not in the same league as some of the monster mass on here . . . but I'm working on it. Currently have a 40kg Usher R1.5 power amp and am awaiting a second. The Ushers will drive some Ushers. They are BE10s. They weren't heavy enough so I filled them with a mix of lead shot and kiln dried sand. About 100kg EACH.

I'm currently making a new hifi rack. Solid oak over two inches thick. Should weight about 100k (empty) when it's finished.

All on a wooden floor :-)

Rather enjoying my old school Naim 42/110 (recently re-capped) into some old school JBL L112, not sure what it all weighs or the max SPL, but it sounds pretty fine to me once warmed up. One speaker weights considerably more than the Naim.

I really must un-box the Krell KAS-2's :D

There really are very few decent horn speakers around, it's much easier to get a good /great sound out of boxes or panels with a nice monster amp running in class A.