graystoke4

Big amps big systems

107 posts in this topic

Where are the guys in this forum, with the big Krells , Audio Research, Spectral

amps... all i see is iv'e got a naim nait , or a tedy pardo, yes they might be OK amps but you can't beat real power, ( if your grandmother can pick up your amp you need a bigger one ) and big speakers, you need head room from a amp, which small amps simply don't have, to move air you need big drive units, it's just the math's, so come on , out yourself with the big great sounding systems and make yourself heard

me im am playing know Spectral DMC30ss mk 2 pre and Spectral DMA 360 mk2 300 watts , through Wilson Audio Sash's and it sounds bloody good to me ,hifi has always been about the madness and power of a system lets not loose that sight biggrin.gif:)

Super Wammer

Well the thing is

My low power valve system pisses all over the high power solid state one

I do enjoy the ss, don't get me wrong, but for serious listening it's valves all the way

Super Wammer
Where are the guys in this forum, with the big Krells , Audio Research, Spectral

amps... all i see is iv'e got a naim nait , or a tedy pardo, yes they might be OK amps but you can't beat real power, ( if your grandmother can pick up your amp you need a bigger one ) and big speakers, you need head room from a amp, which small amps simply don't have, to move air you need big drive units, it's just the math's, so come on , out yourself with the big great sounding systems and make yourself heard

me im am playing know Spectral DMC30ss mk 2 pre and Spectral DMA 360 mk2 300 watts , through Wilson Audio Sash's and it sounds bloody good to me ,hifi has always been about the madness and power of a system lets not loose that sight biggrin.gif:)

Hifi has been about accuracy and subtlety. Power has come into it to some extent, as being needed to achieve accuracy of levels for things like orchestral climaxes, but there's a great deal of beauty in small-scale chamber music, folk and jazz. Those don't need high SPLs, and anyway, loud has more to do with energy than peak power, as so much modern recordings are heavily compressed.

S

Super Wammer

300 watts pah! Mine run 1000w into 8ohms, 2000w into 4ohms and 4000w into 2ohms.......power!!!! ;-)

I like what valves can do in some areas but for proper bass and dynamics there ain't no substitute for cubic inches....

thanks Thetiminator spread the word to these weaklings with their 30 watt amps,, my toothbrush has 31 ,,

Your toothbrush is bigger than my amp?

Figures.:D

Super Wammer

Lol yeh....low power valve amps are just for those dudes who's missus makes them keep it down low, so the Diana Krall doesn't put the milkman off his rhythm.....:P

The real advantage of having loads of amp power is that you can use it to beat the inadequacies out of the speakers. It allows you to get decent(ish) bass from small boxes and sharp attack from large drivers. The music might actually not end up any louder. But it might well be closer to The Real Thing. Once in a while I get to listen to a 150W/ch valve amp belonging to one of my customers. It does get a very serious grip ...

VB

You only need large amps if your speakers are inefficient cack :td:

Better to use speakers which don't turn 99+% of your amp's output into heat. :cafe:

You only need large amps if your speakers are inefficient cack :cafe:

You finished that massively overpowered amp that you're building yet? ;-)

Great choice. I know David Wilson uses a Spectral power amp for the testing of a new speaker design. You must have some synergy going on there.

Regards

Steve