AnyaPup

Lector cd players

12 posts in this topic

I've had more CD players than hot dinners and most haven't lasted very long. I'm very happy with my current Cyrus CDXTSE transport but I keep hearing good things about Lector CD players. In fact the praise has seemed to good to be true.

Anyone own one, heard one and have any thoughts?

Yup ! Had the 2 box jobbie (CDT 7) for a couple of years plus and loved it; so did all the Wammers who either came for bake-offs or who tried it in their systems. Sold it to a chap who was as curious as you; he came up to from London, was bowled over and was a very happy bunny when I phoned his a week or two later.

I decided to try the top 4 box version, which I now have. It's really not that much different; maybe a little more refinement, but it really didn't justify the enormous price difference, except inasmuch as I can't (and don't intend to) go further. Had a Meridian GO8 before (lovely machine) and nearer to your Cyrus, I'd guess, but absolutely no comparison to the Lector, which is lusty, organic and involving, with exc. bass. Only downside (for me) is the high output of over 3 volts, so pre-amp matching could be tricky.

Hope this helps.

Super Wammer

I have heard a few of the Lector players, many of which have had modifications to output stage capacitors.

Very impressive sound quality, but I would refer to it as different as opposed to accurate.

They are expensive though, even s/h.

I have heard a few of the Lector players, many of which have had modifications to output stage capacitors.

Very impressive sound quality, but I would refer to it as different as opposed to accurate.

They are expensive though, even s/h.

I agree; different. Much more analogue but I guess that's valves for you ! Interested in your comment about capacitor changes, which is a new one on me and a former Lector (many models) owner as I can't see that this would affect output voltage. Can you elucidate?

Just got the (relatively) new model 707.

MARVELLOUS!!

Everything l had wanted - detailed, dynamic, rhythmic, musical.

None of the expensive dacs l have tried came close.

Recommended!

Please PM for more details if you want.

Cheers, Paul

Plays all my discs, most of which are ripped.

707 new to me Paul, but on HiFi Shark there's one for (equivalent) £2500, though (as I can't read German), I don't know if that's new or not. It looks exactly like my old CDT 7, so I guess they've just upgraded the socketry etc. to accommodate the latest digital permutations. Think the CDT 7 was about £2750 with p/supply when current. The Lector CD players are a musical revelation, though whether other valved CDPs (ARC, Rega, etc.) have a similar presentation I don't know.

Pussycat - 707 a new model that replaces the 7.

The Lector website lists about 15 alterations.

Never heard the 7, but the 707 is really special imho.

It's beautifully made and a I love using it.

It has a few quirks - remote only works from 10ft and unloading the disc is fiddly, but l forgive it!

Cheers, Paul.

Yes, Paul; I was simply going on looks. Interesting that you mention the fiddly access for discs, as my CDT7 had exc. access, as the door closure pillar was further forward. The transport of the 4 box version I have has this pillar further back, which DOES make access fiddly. Actually this also looks almost identical to my old CDT 7, so I'd guess the transports for all only differ in connectivity and maybe a few tweaks inside. Another problem with upgrading is that the old black remote was vastly superior in practice and design to the silvery one with my 4 box version. Not all upgrades are up, it seems !

Super Wammer
I agree; different. Much more analogue but I guess that's valves for you ! Interested in your comment about capacitor changes, which is a new one on me and a former Lector (many models) owner as I can't see that this would affect output voltage. Can you elucidate?

I don't think it changes the voltage, just similar alleged sound improvements that cap upgrades bring.

Apparently the DAC stages have little or no jitter filtering, hence the difference in sound.

A chap called Mat at Senso systems in Cornwall mods them and they certainly sound superb.