• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cleaning wood speakers

17 posts in this topic

I read that Shahinian Obelisks are meant to be just cleaned with something like lemon oil as the veneer is natural. On close inspection I think mine may have been varnished in the past. Not sure if it is just an oil buildup or varnish as it appears to be very thin but on applying the lemon oil it doesn't seem to be getting absorbed so think it may be varnish.

Can anyone recommend something to clean them back to original so I can just apply lemon oil?

22399688321_0471df8aa9_o.jpgIMG_0084 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

Pledge won't remove varnish, I want to clean the wood back to get rid of the blotches and yellowing.

[video=youtube;mX8rsQrN7Zc]

It has worked for me in the past, won't hurt it.

Use the finest wet&dry you can get hold of P2000 grade (Use it DRY!!), then finish it off with wire wool.

The boss uses this method on his Yacht, it works a treat.

If they have indeed been lacquered/varnished, you won't really be able to get a proper oil finish without taking them back to bare wood - if it is just oil, you can either knock it back a little with a spot of turps and 0000 wire wool, followed by a light coat of oil ( remove any excess within 15 mins or so to avoid horrible sticky/glossy bits), or just apply the oil using 0000 - after it's blown out, I'd give it a wax using Harrells or similar - MH

I think you'll find French polishers use wire wool all be it very fine wire wool

Yeah, they do. I must have missed the bit where the OP was planning to French Polish his speakers. :-)

But yeah, crack on with the wire wool but don't say I didn't warn ya ;-)

In order for any risk of iron stain, the steel wool would need to be in contact with bare oak - 25 years of experience as a restorer tells me you would be just fine, but if you were feeling paranoid you could always use grey (fine) webrax/scotchbrite - MH

I think they are just stained rather than varnished, gave a small corner section on the back a clean with some Colron wax remover (turps/whitespirit/pterol) and it didn't really remove anything except a small amount of dirt.

Will just give them a clean with the turps and then go over with lemon oil.

Why do companies insist on staining oak that "only way is essex" fake orange colour.

In order for any risk of iron stain, the steel wool would need to be in contact with bare oak - 25 years of experience as a restorer tells me you would be just fine, but if you were feeling paranoid you could always use grey (fine) webrax/scotchbrite - MH

Apologies. I certainly bow to your experience cos I'm nothing more than a keen amateur. Perhaps Chris would like to wire wool his oak speakers and report back :-)