• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
martinm

Replace SBT with what?

107 posts in this topic

I'm about to take the plunge and get a NAS drive. Mostly for film reasons to be honest so am going for a QNAP with HDMI out.

I'm being pestered by the kids to get streaming sorted and whilst I was going to go for a new CD transport it does make much more sense - on a domestic harmony level - to spend the money on a NAS drive

Having a SBT and already converted my cd's to Flac I'm going to give streaming another go (didn't really get on with last time and reverted back to CD)

Problem is I've discovered that the QNAP's doesn't support LMS any more.

I don't have the tech time or knowledge to start with hacks or building rpi's as a work around. Plus the missus will want something neat.

So SBT will need swapping or selling

Is there a reasonable alternative with and AES/EBU output (only spare input on the dac). Given I'm running an old AN DAC 3.1 I don't think it needs to do high res, just red book standard.

I don't need anything with a DAC or pre amp etc and everything I've looked at entry level seems pack this and the kitchen sink in.

I do have spotify for the which I'd also like to stream.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be great. I don't expect this to able to replace my CD's but if I can't hear a difference then I'll be happy to drop a box!

Not got much of budget and would love to be able to swap/exchange when I do this for something of similar value second hand (if it exists)

Am I looking for rocking horse poo?

Thanks

Martin

Not many with AES/EBU outputs and guess they will be quite expensive.

There is the old favourite of Sonos that has a builtin DAC so you could use the analogue out.

There is also the new Aurilac Aries Mini which also has a builtin DAC and looks very interesting but I think that is on backorder until the end of the month now.

What is your budget?

Seeing as you have an SBT, and assuming you have a PC. Why not run LMS on a PC/MAC and use NAS purely for storing serving the files? Zero cost to give it another go.

Then, if your kids wanna stream, for multiple access with SBT, you can also run Squeezeplay free (effectively SBT on PC desktop) on their PCs, and/or Squeezepad $5.99 (simply brilliant iOS SBT app) on their iPads, all of which could then access your NAS library FLACs via the PC LMS instance? You wouldn't even have to keep the SBT....(ping me if you are selling SBT BTW)

As an aside, QNAP no longer supporting LMS is a misnomer - no one suppports LMS. But it's stable and Open source Code and is well supported by the slimdevices communities, where there is a wealth of knowledge beyond relying the HW vendors to produce patches, bug fixes etc.

You could have this sort of set up:

Devices:

PC running LMS (and Squeezeplay)

Other PCs running Squeezeplay

iPads running Squeezepad ( I am assuming you have these in house..)

Router attached NAS box with shared directory pointed to in LMS Control Panel for FLACs, and your HDMI vids out.

Any one device could control all others, run separately, or sync - also connect onwards to DACs, Hi fi, power speakers, Bluetooth/Airplay pacemakers devices etc

Zero budget required beyond $5.99 Squeezepad. Nothing to lose.

You would still have to have the PC hosting LMS running, for all devices to work, but you would not have to do any brain surgery on yer NAS.

Not many with AES/EBU outputs and guess they will be quite expensive.

There is the old favourite of Sonos that has a builtin DAC so you could use the analogue out.

There is also the new Aurilac Aries Mini which also has a builtin DAC and looks very interesting but I think that is on backorder until the end of the month now.

What is your budget?

Thanks

Definitely won't use the inbuilt dac maybe get a converter though for the AES/EBU

Sonus might be the most simple answer - just doesn't feel right lol!

Personally I don't rate the Sonos at all for audio (I've had both the ZP80 and Connect), the interface is brilliant but even through a DAC using coax or toslink it doesn't sound very good to me.

You could always buy a MacMini and use a toslink > AES converter, did a quick search earlier and they seem to range from around £40 to £150

I got a 2015 Mac mini 1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 with 4GB RAM and Apple Warranty for £280, with JRMC and Audirvana+ it is a fantastic bit of kit.

Seeing as you have an SBT, and assuming you have a PC. Why not run LMS on a PC/MAC and use NAS purely for storing serving the files? Zero cost to give it another go.

Then, if your kids wanna stream, for multiple access with SBT, you can also run Squeezeplay free (effectively SBT on PC desktop) on their PCs, and/or Squeezepad $5.99 (simply brilliant iOS SBT app) on their iPads, all of which could then access your NAS library FLACs via the PC LMS instance? You wouldn't even have to keep the SBT....(ping me if you are selling SBT BTW)

As an aside, QNAP no longer supporting LMS is a misnomer - no one suppports LMS. But it's stable and Open source Code and is well supported by the slimdevices communities, where there is a wealth of knowledge beyond relying the HW vendors to produce patches, bug fixes etc.

You could have this sort of set up:

Devices:

PC running LMS (and Squeezeplay)

Other PCs running Squeezeplay

iPads running Squeezepad ( I am assuming you have these in house..)

Router attached NAS box with shared directory pointed to in LMS Control Panel for FLACs, and your HDMI vids out.

Any one device could control all others, run separately, or sync - also connect onwards to DACs, Hi fi, power speakers, Bluetooth/Airplay pacemakers devices etc

Zero budget required beyond $5.99 Squeezepad. Nothing to lose.

You would still have to have the PC hosting LMS running, for all devices to work, but you would not have to do any brain surgery on yer NAS.

Annoyingly I don't have a PC.

I have a MacBook but it's not left on and gets used (taken) for work and by the kids.

So really need something that's just going to work with the NAS and of course annoyingly the alternative NAS boxes don't seem to have HDMI out- the kids have a sonus 1 and iTouch pod thingies

Personally I don't rate the Sonos at all for audio (I've had both the ZP80 and Connect), the interface is brilliant but even through a DAC using coax or toslink it doesn't sound very good to me.

You could always buy a MacMini and use a toslink > AES converter, did a quick search earlier and they seem to range from around £40 to £150

I got a 2015 Mac mini 1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 with 4GB RAM and Apple Warranty for £280, with JRMC and Audirvana+ it is a fantastic bit of kit.

I'm not understanding how taking either digital out from the Sonos Connect can result in not rating the Sonos for audio. If you simply are passing the signal through the unit surely it's the DAC you are rating ?

Another option is to buy an Amazon fire TV and sideload Kodi (XBMC) as that will play both video and audio, also has a toslink out so you could feed that into the DAC via a converter.

Only downside is it will probably be hijacked by the kids for netflix or amazon prime video :(

I'm not understanding how taking either digital out from the Sonos Connect can result in not rating the Sonos for audio. If you simply are passing the signal through the unit surely it's the DAC you are rating ?

The clock in the Sonos is crap so results in large amounts of jitter, there is a wyred4sound clock mod but puts the price up massively.

Anyway this isn't answering the OPs question so I'm not going to get into a sonos is great/crap discussion.

It was just my opinion and I don't like Sonos audio.

That sounds like a neat solution if I can pick one up second hand. Though will need to inestigate what JRMC and Audirvana are!

Another option is to buy an Amazon fire TV and sideload Kodi (XBMC) as that will play both video and audio, also has a toslink out so you could feed that into the DAC via a converter.

Only downside is it will probably be hijacked by the kids for netflix or amazon prime video :(

I don't think the recently released version of the FireTV has an optical out any more. I think it has been replaced by an SDCard slot.

Annoyingly I don't have a PC.

I have a MacBook but it's not left on and gets used (taken) for work and by the kids.

So really need something that's just going to work with the NAS and of course annoyingly the alternative NAS boxes don't seem to have HDMI out- the kids have a sonus 1 and iTouch pod thingies

Ah, you can of course run LMS on Mac, but if it's the only computer and it goes out n about...

I assume you also are not using a smart TV, otherwise you wouldn't need HDMI, and could use ethernet/Twonky and the TV 'pull'?

More pertinent question - why do you need a NAS box at all with so few devices? shared storage only makes sense when there are many devices sharing. Direct attach USB storage is far cheaper and easier with one Mac, plus you can still set up shares..

The clock in the Sonos is crap so results in large amounts of jitter, there is a wyred4sound clock mod but puts the price up massively.

Anyway this isn't answering the OPs question so I'm not going to get into a sonos is great/crap discussion.

It was just my opinion and I don't like Sonos audio.

It is part of the response given to the OP in relation to alternatives to the SBT though. I'm a happy user of Sonos but I'm not looking to divert the OP's request for advice but think it's fair to identify a query around your claim that the Sonos Connect is poor.

Without at least trying it?

I like a dollop of valve coating ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I must have a mate with a sonus connect thing so will see if I can borrow one to try