Ian Taviner

Dac without preamp

29 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I currently have a Leema dac with included preamp but want to exclude the pre as I have no use for it and want to eliminate another path of unnecessary volume adjustment.

Preferably valve based or similar sounding to match my existing system.

Looking to spend up to a grand second hand, any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

Super Wammer

You can get the Arcam D33 for less than £700 brand new with a 5 year warranty on eBay. A slightly left-field option would be the Chevron Paradox. There's a guy on this site who's been offering one for sale in threads but he's not put an advert in the classifieds. Bourney has one and he rates it.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the quick suggestions, I will have a read up on both.

Cheers

The Chevron is a nos dac not valve but I can highly recommend it having owned one for several years.

Nos dac is also an option, just don't need the preamp.

Will be reading up on both and availability.

Cheers

Super Wammer

Cracking dac with no preamp, though not valve, is the Chord Dac 64. I would still have one if I didn't require a preamp in the dac.

You can pick one up under a grand in excellent condition.

Hi Alan,

I have never listened to any Chord DACs but will certainly have a read up on this one.

Cheers

Thanks for the link Chris, they even do trade ins so could be ideal.

Hard to read up on though as the upgrade options are mind boggling to me :^

So far the choices are AN dac 3, Chord 64 or Micromega duo pro 2 Dac !!

Decision time I fancy, not easy as they all appeal but as usual it's a tough decision, as expected performance and matching

with my set up is more important than price within reason. Maybe time to just take the plunge on instinct :nerves:

Super Wammer

Decision time I fancy, not easy as they all appeal but as usual it's a tough decision, as expected performance and matching

with my set up is more important than price within reason. Maybe time to just take the plunge on instinct :nerves:

Why not hold a bakeoff and get people to bring DACs so that you can try them out in your system?

Ian, have you also considered the newish 2qute DAC from Chord? Hard to sift the PR hyperbole, but it seems to have great reviews, and punch above its weight. Small and minimal design too. The Chord 64 is a relatively old DAC architecture by comparison, and Chord engineering skills seem to be in the chip coding as well as the implementation. Why wouldn't you consider a later generation?

Reason I ask, is that I am also thinking to augment my man system Cyrus X preDAC with a (small) state of the art external DAC, decoupling preamp and DAC functions in the process.

With the all (mainly positive) reviewer, and, more importantly, user feedback with the Hugo, then that is another candidate. But not needing the pre functions, then the 2qute AND Mojo for portable duties, could be had for same money as a Hugo....

Sorry to hijack, Clearly not a valve choice, as per your initial criteria, but am interested in your (sort of) similar journey.

Anyone tried the 2Qute yet?

Super Wammer

There's a M2Tech Young DSD with Palmer power supply at Fanthorpes in Hull.

£950 less a 10% wam discount I think.

Sounded very analogue to me.

Super Wammer
Hi Alan,

I have never listened to any Chord DACs but will certainly have a read up on this one.

Cheers

+1 on the DAC64. I've now been running a DAC64 Mk2 for longer than any source that I've ever had. If I were buying again now, I would be adding the Chord 2Qute to my list, the main reason being compatibility with larger files. Interestingly with the DAC64, despite it's age, Chord were still willing to service and repair it when a chip went wrong just before Christmas last year.

Hmm, I've dealt with this guy before. He (Darren Champion) operates his business from a terraced house in Grimsby, packed from floor to ceiling with secondhand eqpt. A real muddle, and no real care.

He will give you a £100 discount if you pick it up yourself, but he has no facility to let you hear the kit before you hand over your well-earned. Its a risk, and no effective aftercare if goes wrong when you get it home and it goes pop!