peter312

Dithering over a new CD player

16 posts in this topic

I have been updating my hi-fi system over the last couple of years, as funds permitted. I am now happy with the sound I get from playing records, which is achieved by the following:

Ortofon 2M Blue > Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Acrylic > Arcam A19 > Dali Zensor 5

Currently, CD playing duties fall to a Marantz CD6005 which does a good job, but I think I can possibly do better. I have a number of options open to me and I would appreciate people’s thoughts on them. (None of the dealers are particularly near to me so I am trying to narrow down my options before doing a lot of travelling).

1. An Arcam CDS27 for £799. It seems the logical choice but my recent experience of Arcam disc players is not good. (I have previously had a CD17 and DVD135, both of which had problems with the disc mechanisms. The CD82 and Alpha 7 I had many years ago were both fine).

2. An almost new Rega Saturn R for £999. Not a bad price for a £1,700 machine

3. A Cambridge CXN Streamer and CXC CD Transport for £999. In addition to the CD player, like the Arcam this gives me the ability to stream from my NAS drive (which currently services a Sonos system) and allows me to play my small collection of Hi Res downloads.

4. A Marantz SA8005 for £649, based on my experience with the CD6005.

5. Buy a Q DAC for £199 and save a lot of money.

I am most tempted by the Rega Saturn R or the Cambridge combo, for different reasons. I definitely want to keep a CD player in my system. My budget is up to £1,000 or so. I listen to classic rock/pop (ELO, Queen, Beatles) and classical music (mostly symphonic or ‘smooth classics’).

Any thoughts or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

I have no experience of the models you mention, but CD players that have impressed me recently are:

Rega Saturn (no R)

Lyngdorf CD-1.

Super Wammer

Second hand is probably the way to go. More bang for your buck. Check out the classifieds , there has been some really excellent players recently. Look in the Bake Off section Wammers welcome. Get your self out and try and listen to a few different players. Should point you in the right direction. Another advantage of second hand you can always move it on, unlike buying new and loosing a large chunk of change if you sell. Disadvantages of older machines servicing, check first, is there spares available, particularly the laser.

Super Wammer

I'd try a few DACs on the end of your CD player. The Rega DAC is a good solid choice if you want new, as is the Audiolab MDAC. If you're willing to buy 2nd hand, there are some real bargains to be had under well under £1000.

PM'd you Peter.

Super Wammer

I have recently been using a Cyrus cd8x . it was very very cheap and sounds rather excellent . especially using an rca to aes cable to my DAC

However of your choices the rega seems to be very popular on many threads

Hi Peter

I have a Chevron Paradox DAC and Proceed (Mark Levinson) transport for sale which could fit the bill and still leave you change for more music!

The Transport has been upgraded by Chevron and the DAC is a cracker with USB input too should you want to stream from a PC or similar

I'm in Staffordshire so not too far from you. Let me know if you want any more info

Super Wammer

Go for a player that also allows you to stream uncompressed music you will never look back.

quad 99 cdp2 (300 used on ebay) or elite cdp (700 used on ebay).

Excellent cd players ( well i have had the 99).

Which has optical / digital inputs and digital outputs.

So can be used as a dac as well.

Also has a built in preamp for variable output, or fixed output if using solely as a cd player.

Wish i had never sodl mine.

Super Wammer

A used well built Sony or Pioneer as a transport, into a good DAC.

I may be selling my PeachTree DAC iT with linear power supply, depending on the results of my current DAC auditions.

I'm sorry for not getting back to you, Bob. I've been away on business. That is a very kind offer but I have managed to get some auditioning done and have opted for an Audiolab 8200CDQ, which I find has good synergy with my Arcam a and Dali speakers.

Once again, thank you everyone for your comments. They helped me narrow down my options (although a lot of alternatives were suggested :) )