• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
unclepuncle

A must have for al your vinyl afficianados.

85 posts in this topic

Nonsense.

Sorry, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with performance. You could say the same about most things on the planet. Some people need to have 'The Best' or at least perceived to be better than everyone else's. This hobby is rife with people trying to make a living from people with disposable incomes. Things like this have to have a ridiculous price tag to appeal to the richer OCD sufferer.

Sad, but so true. It's all about perception rather than objective reality. For someone like me with a functionalist view of the world, I'm constantly mystified by what's on sale which defies engineering logic. For example, when buying my car, there were BMW M5s and M6s in the showroom, with huge wheels and consequently very thin tyres. Neither of those cars would have been able to cross a muddy puddle, let alone the Sahara with those tyres, so I asked the Salesman why anyone should want a large (and pretty expensive) 4x4 if it wasn't even able to cross a muddy field. He said the sort of people that buy those don't even like to take them out in the rain, let alone cross muddy fields. As far as he's concerned they're pure fashion statements, nothing to do with practicality.

So what is it about people that make them buy stuff that's impractical, underperforming and overpriced? It can't just be impressing the neighbours/friends/colleagues, can it? Are there moneyed people so shallow? Or am I just showing my prejudices?

S.

Eh? SME made a gold special edition 3012 and one sold recently on ebay.

Far from unobtainable.

1523484_1392560091005579_1284986414_o.jpg

Not the same arm, the gold one mounted on the 301 has prototype parts akin to the R series 3012 the one above is an Asian S1 type (Ie the seller plated a series 1)

Sad, but so true. It's all about perception rather than objective reality. For someone like me with a functionalist view of the world, I'm constantly mystified by what's on sale which defies engineering logic. For example, when buying my car, there were BMW M5s and M6s in the showroom, with huge wheels and consequently very thin tyres. Neither of those cars would have been able to cross a muddy puddle, let alone the Sahara with those tyres, so I asked the Salesman why anyone should want a large (and pretty expensive) 4x4 if it wasn't even able to cross a muddy field. He said the sort of people that buy those don't even like to take them out in the rain, let alone cross muddy fields. As far as he's concerned they're pure fashion statements, nothing to do with practicality.

So what is it about people that make them buy stuff that's impractical, underperforming and overpriced? It can't just be impressing the neighbours/friends/colleagues, can it? Are there moneyed people so shallow? Or am I just showing my prejudices?

S.

Is it prejudice, or are we just not as competitive as some? I'm the same with watches etc. Some people need a Rolex (or several) where I'm happy to use my phone clock. Phones is another one!

If you look at what we refer to as foo, it's usually always accompanied by some or other pretentious nonsense of a name. I think it really is directed at a very narrow market.

Is it prejudice, or are we just not as competitive as some? I'm the same with watches etc. Some people need a Rolex (or several) where I'm happy to use my phone clock. Phones is another one!

If you look at what we refer to as foo, it's usually always accompanied by some or other pretentious nonsense of a name. I think it really is directed at a very narrow market.

It's more accurate than a Rolex!

S.

True, but these items are not sold as objects of art. They are cynically marketed snake oil.

2516987082_64f0d7579d_b.jpg

The utterly dire English pisses me off massively. However, not as much as the suggestion that a stupid record weight could make a greater difference sonically than a different tonearm. The entire 'review' is a complete and utter joke. I have read worse, but I'd struggle to remember when and where.

That really is the ultimate piece of total and utter shit.

That's unfair Richard what you need to do is hear it for yourself, go buy one now and report back.

True, but these items are not sold as objects of art. They are cynically marketed snake oil.

You've obviously not been through the perfume department at Liberty's!

Not the same arm, the gold one mounted on the 301 has prototype parts akin to the R series 3012 the one above is an Asian S1 type (Ie the seller plated a series 1)

There is one for sale in Hong Kong Nos/Nib. About $15,300 ball park.

Eh? SME made a gold special edition 3012 and one sold recently on ebay.

Far from unobtainable.

Nope, that's rubbish. That arm has no connection (other than an SME badge) with the one being discussed, whatsoever.

The arm in the original picture is unique

unique

juːˈniːk/

adjective

• being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else.

:cafe: