• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
lowendall

fettling older speaker , experiances ,

7 posts in this topic

So I have a old set of cheap sony ss g4 speakers , I got them a good while back and they seem to fit in with my ears nicely , I have opened them up the bits seem quiet good and well put toghether , I have a small restricted area for listenning , so I wonder if any one can tell me from there experiance about aby possative effects of changing what looks like yellow loft insulation for soem sort of other filling and prehapd any other tweeks I might try , I like the bass in the cabs but it does seem a little booming , prehaps bracing the inside of the cabs the mid abd trebble units are in a seperated little cavity , but lined also loosly with the yello stuff , these two units are mounted on a solid metal oblong , for even quiet listenning I enjoy these cabs greatly .

There is some sort of regular small sqr marking all over the front plastic in the cab is this ment to do anything and how , for the sound , I have these cabs on a new set of heavy metal short stand , bluetac , so they are know at the correct height and I think I might be getting a little bass help from the floor,

they even sound ok at lower levels to my ears anyway .

wher do I get the filling from , I will look in the diy section .

Lowendall

The filling isn't critical, almost anything fibrous will do, so you're not likely to get much improvement from changing it. My B&Ws use wool or cotton waste, other manufacturers use BAF (Bonded Acetate Fibre) wadding, others Kapoc, others again loft insulation.

As to the small square markings, I suspect they're for styling, but if you could post a photo, I might be better able to advise.

S.

Studies have shown fibreglass to be one of the best, if not the best stuffing material for reducing reflections inside a speaker, and looking at pics online yours are full of the stuff.

If there's not a brace between the mid and woofer, it may help tighten things up with one there.

Another thing you can experiment with is port tuning. Just extend the port to lower the tuning frequency (Bloom and boom is often from a speaker that's tuned too high) This can be done on the outside of the box for experimenting. If you extend the port on the inside of the box you need at least 3" of space between the port and the cabinet wall IIRC, so if it needed to be longer you would have to put a bend in it. As a last resort stuff some open cell foam or something in the port.

Edit: If you really want to experiment with stuffing and don't like messing with fibreglass (I hate the stuff) then this is supposed to be good - Monacor MDM-3

Studies have shown fibreglass to be one of the best, if not the best stuffing material for reducing reflections inside a speaker, and looking at pics online yours are full of the stuff.

If there's not a brace between the mid and woofer, it make help tighten things up with one there.

Another thing you can experiment with is port tuning. Just extend the port to lower the tuning frequency (Bloom and boom is often from a speaker that's tuned too high) This can be done on the outside of the box for experimenting. If you extend the port on the inside of the box you need at least 3" of space between the port and the cabinet wall IIRC, so if it needed to be longer you would have to put a bend in it. As a last resort stuff some open cell foam or something in the port.

If the loudspeakers are ported, then they shouldn't be full of stuffing as that will kill the way a bass reflex works. BR loudspeakers should only have stuff against the walls, leaving the majority of the cabinet empty. Infinite baffles should be stuffed, and Transmission Lines should have very carefully graded stuffing so that ideally the backwave if fully absorbed but with no reflections.

S

If the loudspeakers are ported, then they shouldn't be full of stuffing as that will kill the way a bass reflex works. BR loudspeakers should only have stuff against the walls, leaving the majority of the cabinet empty. Infinite baffles should be stuffed, and Transmission Lines should have very carefully graded stuffing so that ideally the backwave if fully absorbed but with no reflections.

S

That is very true but if the pics are genuine and the stuffing hasn't been messed with then Sony must have thought they sound better with that amount of stuffing.

IIRC Mark ks Seas ER18DXT are ported but quite heavily stuffed. I think he used Martin kings mathcad sheets to work out the tuning/stuffing. They have got very good feedback at diy events and I think they may have even won a diy competition. Unfortunately Marks website has been down for quite a while now, so I can't leave a link to the design.

I would like to thank you all for you input , lots to think about there, but also perhaps things are working as they should , might perhaps try a revisable thingand look to a pushed . wedged in cross brace thing, I got this ruben Gonzales cd playing at the moment at a good loud house sort of level and the bass is bonkers in level and themix, fantastic, . I am seriously enjoying these sonys, so much that I have showed my hand to a friend whohas another set of even older ss g1 I think and I might get these for a second set up , lovey, another nice 10 inch speaker but I think its a sealed box this time, , I need to vanish them past my long suffering and hide them in the man shed !!!! whoops, more tunes till then, thank you lowendall

Basic thought. Make sure the fixing screws are tight and the rim seals intact.