horace

7.1 - Front height vs rear surround?

13 posts in this topic

Super Wammer

My 7.1 AV amp gives me the option of setting the 6/7th channels as either front height or rear surround.

Assuming I can accommodate either arrangement, which is preferable?

Cheers

Super Wammer

Depends on the overall setup Martin and all the individual components.

I've stuck with 5.1 in the AV system here, as I still believe after much experimentation that when it comes to movie and TV reproduction (and music DVDs for that matter), the centre is actually the vital component and (surprisingly) the sub and its integration is not far behind.

The usual setup I've seen with 7.1 is to have the additional left and right halfway between front and rear and acting to fill in the side audio information. For your system, I would suggest the issue is what (if anything) do you think needs a little extra? 'Height' will depend to a large extent on the front speakers and room dynamics.

I have 7.1 and recall only that DTS and Dolby hi-res on BluRay are encoded for a rear surround, so my view is that if I stick a speaker on the front wall and it transmits (say) a pan effect originally designed for the rear, this will get confused if it suddenly jumps from rear to front etc...

of course, it's your choice in the end, but 7.1 is really immersive.

Super Wammer

I tried height channels on my Yamaha 1065 and they didn't really add anything to be honest. You had to use their DSP modes to get them to work. Which just seemed to throw them the L/R signal soaked in reverb. Which was either inaudible or unnatural, depending on the height volume.

YMMV obviously but it didn't seem very impressive. Whereas rear surrounds do really add something. Even without a discrete channel or channels.

Super Wammer

Thanks chaps - looks like rear surround is the way to go.

I'll give it a try.

Super Wammer

I've settled on 5.1 here mainly due to the size of the room and the main seating position (which is against the rear wall) but my AV amp allows similar, and I did experiment with 7.1 for a while with rear channels and surround channels (which I moved forward into the room) which sounded quite good on suitably encoded disks.

Super Wammer

I went with the rear surround option, which is very effective.

The front Heights are not so crucial if you can get good positioning of your main front L and R.

Super Wammer

Rear surround now in operation. Not a huge improvement over straight 5.1, but better than the front height alternative.

Thanks.

Next question: My AV system and main stereo setup share the same room (though are currently entirely separate entities). If I were to acquire a stereo amp with an HT pass through/unity gain input, I could use my main stereo speakers (AP Paduas) instead of the KEF egg fronts. That part of it seems a no brainer, but I think I'd also need to remove the tiny KEF egg centre speaker and set up the AV amp to use only the fronts and surround speakers (I can't see myself buying a matching AP centre - if they sell one, it will no doubt be expensive). My instinct is that the quality of the APs will outweigh the loss of the centre channel. What do you think?

I could, of course, buy a bigger (unmatched) centre speaker to go with the APs and hope that Audyssey will adjust out the mismatch (it does seem pretty good at that), but I'm not sure.

Cheers

Super Wammer

If its only you watching in a sweet spot, then removing the Centre Speaker will work.

If multiple people watch, then you need a Centre.

An Active centre speaker could be the best value for money. Even a Yamaha HS8 may be good enough and very clear on vocals.

Audyssey will help smooth things out if there are peaks.

If your watching lots of material in 5.1 buy a good centre speaker , I was running anthony gallo adiva sattelites and was very happy but a kef 200 centre came up locally at a bargain price , curiosity got the better of me and i purchased the kef ... the difference with the kef in place has been a big upgrade

Super Wammer

Thanks chaps, that sounds promising. Movies are very much a family occasion for us, so I may well look for a bigger centre speaker.

Probably won't be able to throw much cash at the issue, but plenty of choice out there on the used market.

Super Wammer
I have a kef 100 c I'll be listing shortly Martin

You have PM