Denim Demon

MM phono stage options

54 posts in this topic

How about a flounce, then? They're very satisfying, you know :)

He he he. Yes, they possibly are but this thread really isn't worth one.

- - - Updated - - -

One point to consider is that although the P10 is an outstanding phonostage it doesn't suit all Solid State amps. It is looking for an input impedance of 47KOhm

I have heard it sound quite average with amps that don't have that impedance

Cheers, I'm assuming if I check the service manual for Sony, I should be able to find it.

A glance at the Sony service manual indicates that it might not be a good match with the P10 if I'm looking at the right thing.

However, in the meantime I've picked up a basic Dino Mk2. It wasn't on my original list to try, but it was mentioned in the thread, so I thought to start the ball rolling why not.

So the plan is just to see how it goes, see what crops up in the classifieds to try based on the helpful views here and maybe; as some of you were desperate to point out get a 2M Black......

Or go crazy and try a AT 150MLX or whatever else is shiny and sparkly and catches my eye at that moment.

If you are indeed considering an AT150MLX (a superb cart in my opinion), then would like to shamelessly plug the Audio Classics/Haden Boardman 33.3 that I've just dropped the price on in the classifieds.... I ran that combination for some time with excellent results

If you are indeed considering an AT150MLX (a superb cart in my opinion), then would like to shamelessly plug the Audio Classics/Haden Boardman 33.3 that I've just dropped the price on in the classifieds.... I ran that combination for some time with excellent results

No worries, shameless plugging OK with me. Looks like you may have a couple of bites anyway. GLWTS.

Not sure how far you're willing to venture. But here's another avenue.

I run an Audio Innovations P2, which I love, among many things, for its sonic fluidity and mercurial nature. I also have a Jasmine Audio LP2 for back-up or moments like now, when the P2 power switch gets broken at a party. I've been looking to update the Jasmine and find something new. Perhaps an alternative, in a similar price bracket ~ $US700+, but with a nod to the P2's signature.

Michael Fremer's review of the Audreal LP-2 got me interested. This might be a testbed for something new. It may interest you, as the OEM version form Xindak (the LP-1) can be had for about US$800 on Aliexpress or your pick of Chinese e-tailers. It's exactly the same, from what I can see and have read. Some European folk (primarily Dutch and German) have taken to tweaking the piece with alternative items, such as PIO caps and better resistors:

xindac_na_200109_457.jpg

(tweaked phono board)

It's also got a decent power supply:

xindac_voor_200109_452.jpg

(as delivered)

If you fancy a new direction, this may be of interest. I'm likely to pick one up in the New Year, if not sooner. FYI, the Fremer review, above, puts the LP-2/LP-1 in context with the Jasmine, and also the Ortofon 2M Red.

+3 for the Croft RIAA, now that I've put some EI tubes in it (same as old Telefunkens) it sounds fantastic.

In the past I've had the Whest Two, trichord dino, DV P75, Tom Evans microgroove, sonetteer sedley and a few others.

The Croft is by far the best for MM with the Sedley second (crap for MC though) The Whest was easily the best for MC though.

Last cart was a 2M Black and worked well with the Croft (Nagaoka MP-500 sounds better though ;-) )

Completely agree - Croft and 2M work extremely well together. I use the 25R pre but would say the RIAA or RIAA R phono +2M must be a great match!

As a quick update, I tried a Trichord Dino 2 which was an improvement on the Sony's internal one with the 2m Blue. However in the end I bit the bullet and a got an AT-150MLX to replace the Blue and ordered the Lounge LCR which as a combo are sounding mighty fine.