Denim Demon

MM phono stage options

54 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about a new phono stage. I'm currently using the one in the 670ES with a 2M Blue and I'm looking for something that could be used with a future cartridge upgrade.

For the future it's likely I'll stick with MM and I'd been thinking about;

Graham Slee ERA Gold V or Reflex M

Benedict Hothead M

Lounge

Any others I should put on my shortlist? Ideally pre-owned but I imagine that would be difficult with the Lounge or Benedict.

I've used a Trichord Dino with Dino+ power supply - sounded great on a Goldring 1042 MM and also good on MCs from Ortofon. Lots of adjustment options help tailor it to various cartridges.

I have the Lounge LC3 that you are more than welcome to have a play with. You seem to be local too. I've not plugged it in yet so I'm not in a position to say if it's as good as the rumours.

Cheers for the additional suggestions and thanks for the offer with the Lounge, Rick.

I'd be interested to hear what you think, I going to try and get one of the loaner Slee's to try so would be interesting to compare.

The old Realistic 42-2101a is really excellent and costs next to nothing. A fully disctrete J Fet design.

At least as good in its own way as my EAR834P.

I can recommend the Era V, it works well with the 2M's.

Been using one for over 12 months and I've no plans to change, it's a big step up from the Rega Fono mk1 which I used for years (and was also excellent)

That said, I would recommend that you try at least 2 or 3 in your system. I just dived in - too bewildered by choice. lol

Super Wammer

The Whest Two is a good stage which is a not infrequent visitor to the Classifieds here and which gives you options for change. On the valve side, the Icon PS 1.2 comes in an MM only form and is also very good indeed.

Super Wammer

The Slee Era Gold V is a very good amp, the ReflexM adds slightly better definition & a more open soundstage.

The EE Minimax valve unit often crops up 2nd hand & is a quite forward sounding stage. Quite liked it on MM

but wasn't overjoyed with it on MC.

As folks know i'm a big fan of the bog standard EAR834P.Expensive new now though.

Super Wammer

I changed from a Dino to the Hothead MC and found it a big improvement. Listened to the Hothead and the Edwards MC3 at Des's bake of and there wasn't a lot of difference. For the money I think its really good.

Super Wammer

EE minimax fan here. I have had mine a few years now, need I say more :)

Super Wammer

I recently bought an Audion and I am loving it. It is substantially better than the Lounge to my ears and yes I have compared them both. It is twice the cost of the Lounge though.