fletchdirect

Fault Diagnosis - please help!!

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I thought that this section is the best place to post my query, so here's hoping for some help.

I have a fault with my system which I want to get repaired before it gets worst. The right channel sound output is everso (I mean probably less than 10%) lower volume than the left channel. I know we're only talking small numbers here, but its noticeable to my ears.

I have tried all of the immediate fixes - swapping cables, speakers, source components, cleaning conectors with iso alcohol etc - but its still there, and actually very slightly worse (I.e. the difference between channels) with some speakers than others.

I have concluded its the power amp - a 25 year old Kenwood L-1000M. I have the CD player connected directly to the power amp as it has a variable output. The power amp also has volume controls for each channel and I can offset the difference with these, but that's not right is it.

I would not be able to fix the amp myself most likely, so am wanting to see if anyone has a hunch as to what the problem(s) might be, and then I could brief a service centre more specifically.

Many thanks

Julian

Julian, normally I would say that if you are able to use the controls on the amp to offset the volume imbalance, just do that. However, if the amp is 25 years old then this 10% differential in output could be symptomatic of a bigger problem so best get you amp checked over by a pro. Have a look here for recommended repairers:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?36719-Audio-Repairs-amp-Upgrades

Hi,

I thought that this section is the best place to post my query, so here's hoping for some help.

I have a fault with my system which I want to get repaired before it gets worst. The right channel sound output is everso (I mean probably less than 10%) lower volume than the left channel. I know we're only talking small numbers here, but its noticeable to my ears.

I have tried all of the immediate fixes - swapping cables, speakers, source components, cleaning conectors with iso alcohol etc - but its still there, and actually very slightly worse (I.e. the difference between channels) with some speakers than others.

I have concluded its the power amp - a 25 year old Kenwood L-1000M. I have the CD player connected directly to the power amp as it has a variable output. The power amp also has volume controls for each channel and I can offset the difference with these, but that's not right is it.

I would not be able to fix the amp myself most likely, so am wanting to see if anyone has a hunch as to what the problem(s) might be, and then I could brief a service centre more specifically.

Many thanks

Julian

If it is just a 10% difference, that's less than 1dB, which is well within the tolerance for L-R balance on most volume controls. So it's quite likely that the CD player's output is that much out of balance.

That, in part, is what power amp volume controls are for, to adjust for any unbalance upstream, they're not meant to be an operation control. If it bothers you that much, then you'll need to make some measurements on the CD player's output and on the power amp gains.

S

Thanks for the replies so far. I have offset the volume difference using the level controls. However, today the amp was stuck in protection mode for quite a while (light flashing on front, before it clicks in). It never "clicked in" so I turned it off and on again which cured the problem. I am going to follow up with the repairers suggested here, but does this sound like an amp on its way out? I do not really fancy a huge repair bill !! Any ideas about what might be happening here?