Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KT66

Speaker Stands

25 posts in this topic

I need some new stands, must be black and about 60cm high to use with my Rogers LS5/9 (harbeth 30 equiv)

budget not important, any recommendations?

any of these any good?

Atacama SL 600 Speaker Stands

Partington Trophy 60

Partington Super Dreadnoughts

What sort of stands do the manufacturers recommend? High mass or open frame? That should really be the basis ofany shortlist. After that then it is just choosing what suits you best. I use a pair of B&W stands because they meet the manufacturers high mass requirements and I like the look of them.:)

LS5/9 BBC monitors sat on rigid open frame stands if my memory and serches on Google images serve me correctly.

Hold on. http://www.mhennessy3.f9.co.uk/rogers/brochures.htm

The relevant JPG suggests the Rogers S59 stands. The 1991 brochure has a picture of them.

the Chinese Rogers company bears little or no relation to the company in Catford/Streatham.

I used to have the old LS5/9 brochure , it said to use their SD9 stands, I phoned and faxed them about 15 times to eventually be told (by andy littleI think) that they never actually made them.

From my research the Epos ST12 looks the best bet.

Looks good. Might not be high enough mass (the S59 weighed 20lb) and the lack of top plate is a requirement of the Epos speakers. Don't know how that might affect the LS5/9.

the ST12 doesn't have a top plate?

I always thought that sealed bbc type boxes are meant to work well with open frame, I assume that also means open top.

Currently using the little known Target HJ15/3, a wonderful stand just too small I think

no the best match sonically.

KT66 wrote:

I need some new stands, must be black and about 60cm high to use with my Rogers LS5/9 (harbeth 30 equiv)

budget not important, any recommendations?

any of these any good?

Atacama SL 600 Speaker Stands

Partington Trophy 60

Partington Super Dreadnoughts

The BEST stand for that is the one EPOS sell that looks just like the open one the BBC use to use ;)

Basically, you should go for the Something Solid stands mentioned above. They would be made to measure.

Your problem with the Partington stands would be that they are too small for a LS5/9. Maybe the Broadsides would work at a pinch.

I've had both the Something Solid which I use with My Spendor SP1 and the EPOS (I've owned ES11). They're both good stands but my vote would be for the 'Something Solid' because they would definitely be the right size.

I haven't tried the Atacama.

Amongst the Spendor community, open framed stands seem to be more popular. Harbeth owners often seem to follow a different path - Alan Shaw isn't convinced that stands make much of a difference.

HNE do some stands that are designed for BBC designed speakers. Might not be more expensive than importing Skylan. www.hne.co.uk .