Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bourney

JM lab focal range..hierachy and opinions

29 posts in this topic

Alex_A wrote:

Napoleon wrote:
let the music be expressed properly

Properly? Care to explain that? As a simple statement, it's a purely normative assertion and doesn't actually tell me (or anyone else) anything at all.

If that means thin, hi-fi and soulless then I agree.

well we seem to have the usual thought lines, they run as

good, gooder, best, bestest

or

bad, badder, worst and worstest

ever ever in the world, and they need to be demo'd with a energiser dancing bunny, cos without him to show you, you will not know which way round it is

anyone heard the electra 926 or 936 models? struggling to find info on them, but i belive they are the floorstanding models of the 906 (with extra drivers etc)

Bourney wrote:

anyone heard the electra 926 or 936 models? struggling to find info on them, but i belive they are the floorstanding models of the 906 (with extra drivers etc)

I believe my 927be's are based on the 926's, they've got the time alignment cabinets too but mine have improved tweeter and internals

The Swedish Chef wrote:

Amazing that some products can divide opinion so much, pick Neat, Spendor etc and the majority won't say a word against them, yet others like Focal and Art get peoples blood boil.

Blanket statements like "let the music be expressed properly..." certainly don't help though

Yep I find Focals grating over time but I can certainly see why people love em especially for home movies. They just sounded artificial to me but a lot of it depends on what you partner them with and the tunes you like to spin.

Radiohead's "Everything in its Right place"

Sufjan Stevens "They are Night Zombies"

Nine Inch Nails - anything by them

were absolutely stunning through the focals if anyone has these songs in their collection and has Focals I seriously reccomend spinning them.

hmmm...I quite like my speaks to play more than three tracks tho!

I too wonder why they divide opinion quite so strongly, I've spent many many years in hifi, both in the trade and as a consumer and although that doesn't mean I have to know what YOU might like, it does I think suggest that I have enough experience to weed out the crap from the good. I chose focal exactly because they play a VERY wide variety of music AT LEAST well. They are not a one horse design and in my instance they provide musical entertainment across such various as jazz, opera, blues, folk and some good ol rock n roll. I repeat, partnering kit needs to be good...they are intolerant of coarse, rough edged, sharp amps . but with something at the front providing clean signal, some detailed yet swet amps, they are just lovely.

I have spoken, so it MUST be so:P:)

Bourney wrote:

a few months back i bought some JM lab 906's, i have had them before at my old gaff and they werent really suitable. in my current room and with my valve gear they sound lovely. in fact i think i like them more than the many Royds i have tried :shock: (blasphemy...blasphemy!)

anyway, i have now started looking around at the newer models and also trying to find out what were the mdoels that were around at the same time as the 906 and its equivelent replacement.  was there a floorstanding model of this configuration??

But...if i am being honest i have seen that Mocha finish and i need it in my life!!! (there are also some other amazing finishes offered by jmlab)

i know JM lab dont seem to get much love around here but i likes em, the 906 seems to play everything really well and my amp drives them so easily, the quality of the cabinets is as good as i have owned.

Now I'm confused. If you like JM Labs, why on earth are you potentially in search of LVs?

Barring the appalling B&W Nautilus range (oops, did I give my feelings away there?) I can't think of many speakers more diametrically opposed to what the LVs are fundamentally all about.

Do you have a clear idea of what you're trying to achieve or are you just flailing about?

Sounds to me like you need to find 2 or 3 good dealers and form a coherent plan for building a *system* - system being the key word.

notevenclose wrote:

Bourney wrote:
a few months back i bought some JM lab 906's, i have had them before at my old gaff and they werent really suitable. in my currentroom and with my valve gear they sound lovely. in fact i think i like them more than the many Royds i have tried :shock: (blasphemy...blasphemy!)

anyway, i have now started looking around at the newer models and also trying to find out what were the mdoels that were around at the same time as the 906 and its equivelent replacement. was there a floorstanding model of this configuration??

But...if i am beinghonest i have seen that Mocha finish and i need it in my life!!! (there are also some other amazing finishes offered by jmlab)

i know JM lab dont seem to get much love around here but i likes em, the 906 seems to play everything really well and my amp drives them so easily, the quality of the cabinets is as good as i have owned.

Now I'm confused. If you like JM Labs, why on earth are you potentially in search of LVs?

Barring the appalling B&W Nautilus range (oops, did I give my feelings away there?) I can't think of many speakers more diametrically opposed to what the LVs are fundamentally all about.

Do you have a clear idea of what you're trying to achieve or are you just flailing about?

Sounds to me like you need to find 2 or 3 good dealers and form a coherent plan for building a *system* - system being the key word.

i get the feeling i am annoying you for some reason??

anyway...i have never ever heard LV's, i HAVE heard JM labs in various guises, i have started at looking at speakers in my budget (around £1000 quid if i dont hang around and the missus buys a feckin bright orange smeg fridge!)..some i have heard some i havent..hence asking for information, ideas of price and what to expect, how can i know if they are completely different if i havent heard them & i dont ask for others experiences?? hence this thread.

as i enjoy trying differing equipment i try to stay on the 2nd hand trail, if i can buy something that have read about that seems to appealto try and hopefully not lose on it if i move it on thengreat, hence i dont tend to `use' dealers for their dem purposes and then buy elsewhere especially as i cantnormally afford dealers prices...i'd be wasting their time.

so a week or soago i asked about LV's, there doesnt seem to be much aboutin my price range and from reading up,and from folks comments,they `may' not be what i am after, but they still may warrant a listen as peoplesexperience of them may not match yours.i already own JM labs and i like them so seeing as i am getting nowhere on the LV front i started looking at what other speakers are available for my budget. i have said i am tyre kicking at the mo...looking for idea and info.

is it not possible to enjoy two different types of presentation??try them both and see which you prefer??maybe the `living voice' way may be the path i prefer. if they are so far removed from the JM labs they probably wont be what i want.

i am trying to achieve a similar sound to what i have, quite rich & detailed (my JM labs dont sound bright thro my system at all) but with greater scale and something that appeals to me visually and will fit in with our new living room.

and most importantly, my amp has to be able to drive them.

i get the feeling i am annoying you for some reason??

Nah. It's only hifi. I'm just raising a quizzical eyebrow that anyone with an enthusiasm for JM LAb would take to LV or vice versa. It;s why I said it sounds like you'd benefit from finding a couple of good dealers who could demonstrate different approaches/priorities in system building.

Sum of the whole should be greater than the individual parts etc - something which IMO is rarely achieved by assembling a collection of 'bits.'

I take your point about not wasting dealer's time - I 'd rarely if ever listen to anything for the sake of it myself - but most good dealers will suss whether you're a potentially serious customer or not (even if not a short-term purchaser) and allocate time/resources accordingly.

A good dealer with whom you feel an empathy and who can demonstrate exactly why his/her approach is suited to your needs can save you a bloody fortune in the long term. If you 'abuse' that, they'll figure it out pretty quickly, after all, they're running a business, they;re not on some kind of evangelical crusade (or one certainly hopes not).

But at the end of the day you need to figure out what *your* priorities are. Someone who 'buys into' a typical LV type system is not likely to have much time for, say, Krell/JM Lab/Nordost approach to playing music and vice versa.

Dealer who heard my system last year proclaimed it 'more for the heart' than the Accuphase/Avalon system he'd played us when my mate bought a FE rack from him; he described that as 'more for the head' by comparison.

I know which I want, I wish you luck in figuring out which best option/approach is best for you.

For me Focals are just too ruthless - they are the speakers the Daleks would buy. :nup:

LV I could live with, but only if my room could deal with the sometimes wayward bass. They are coloured, but in a good way. :)

Plenty of others I'd buy before either of them.

meninblack wrote:

For me Focals are just too ruthless - they are the speakers the Daleks would buy. :nup:

LV I could live with, but only if my room could deal with the sometimes wayward bass.  They are coloured, but in a good way. :)

Why do you say that? Do you hear with your eyes? :dunno:

TIU wrote:

meninblack wrote:

LV I could live with, but only if my room could deal with the sometimes wayward bass. They are coloured, but in a good way. :)

Eyes? Not a bit of it. For me, they take music and kill the emotional content, leaving only a kind of sterile note-by-note analysis that fails to see the wood for the trees...

meninblack wrote:

TIU wrote:
meninblack wrote:

LV I could live with, but only if my room could deal with the sometimes wayward bass.  They are coloured, but in a good way. :)

Eyes?  Not a bit of it.  For me, they take music and kill the emotional content, leaving only a kind of sterile note-by-note analysis that fails to see the wood for the trees...

But we're talking about Focal speakers, not your favourite bands.