• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Spider

What is a bake off?

63 posts in this topic

Super Wammer

Hi

New to the forum

Just been to Scalford for the first time and loved the whole thing, brilliant day out.

I've only recently built my system over the last year and so far I'm pleased with what I've done. (Although spent more than I originally planned)

I overheard a few conversations about bake off's, so exactly what is a bake off?

Be gentle I'm new to this hobby and have a lot to learn, I just love music, and now I'm hearing it in such a different way.

thanks

Hi, your local to me!

It's where wammers get together in there own homes, listen to music, mess about with hifi kit, eat cake and generally talk rubbish all day:^.

Think of it as a mini Scalford in someone's house:D.

Hi, welcome.

A Bake off is similar in many ways to a smaller version of Scalford.

Someone will offer to hold a get together in his/her house. The guests will arrive on the due date with pieces of Hi Fi kit, food and drink.

Various combinations of kit will be tried out and Wammers will grunt approval...... or not.

Much hilarity, craic, banter takes place and this is for me, is the best bit.

They are great fun. Invite yourself along to the next one anywhere near where you live.

Good luck.

Super Wammer

Hi

I would have really liked to have come along to my first bake off on Sunday, but I have family commitments so I'm not free.

It sounds like great fun so will definitely be attending one soon.

Thanks for the invite.

Super Wammer

I think they used to be called Bake Offs as they consisted of blokes crammed into a small room with large valve amps on all day, making it 'baking' hot.

These days the Wam seems to be keeping this name for them alive by bringing huge amounts of cake to every meet.

Music, beer, cake and good humour make for a fine afternoon.

Super Wammer
Best thing to do Spider is get your name down for my bakeoff on Sunday if

you can make it & we promise to give you an easy ride:nup:

this maybe not entirely accurate :shock:

- - - Updated - - -

eat cake and generally talk rubbish all day:^.
he's a newbie mate, he's not allowed to know about pavlova remember minimum 500 posts is the rule I believe?

I think they used to be called Bake Offs as they consisted of blokes crammed into a small room with large valve amps on all day, making it 'baking' hot.

They are called bake offs because of the American company Pillsbury who made dough. To promote their product they started a competition in 1947 to highlight innovative ways to use the product. This became known as a 'bake off' and is still held today with the winner winning a million dollars.

The term came to be used for any competition where you started with the same or similar products (in our case turntables, amplifiers and speakers) and in different combinations achieved totally different results :geek:

Super Wammer

on the drive back from Scalford yesterday, my Mrs said to me "we could host a bake-off",

then she said "but all wammers are so large.....we'd only get 3 in the house and it'll be full"

then she went on to say ".....if you think I'm doing any baking then think again......"

Super Wammer

Super Wammer

You obviously haven't heard the carbon ones. Easy to make, take any cake and simply bake for 6 hours at 300°C.

Edit: Ecky beat me to it. I think this carbon thing's getting too predictable now, I must take note....

All cakes sound the same.

Super Wammer
fanart_portal58.jpg