You have to respect him but i'm not sure I agree with his assertion about not being able to identify different amps in a blind test. Like you say with your upgrade you're enjoying better performance.
I'd really like to hear the 30.1 as I was a little disappointed with the 30 , however the midrange and vocals in particular were brilliant. I was well impressed and a bit taken aback with Johnny Cash, the detail ... body, raspy, soulful and gritty ... so real.
Thanks again Mark, I'm a have a go type of person obviously. Otherwise I wouldn't be taking this project on but I also need to know my limitations. I need to have a think about this as there are lots of ways to skin this cat. I certainly wouldn't attempt to recess the drivers with a hand router unless it worked like a charm rounding off the outside edges. After what both of you have said I don't think I'll even try the recessing myself.
In that case Stefan, please don’t feel you need post pictures of your speakers publicly and I’d probably be the same in your position (i.e using my own system as a constant test rig).
I’m quite partial to my crown jewels but with some additional protection (working behind a board to shield myself) I may have a go at routing the edge of a scrap piece of aluminium. I’m confident I could do a good job by hand with my grinder, grinding wheel and sander having spent years rounded off the edges of lots of steel and alloys with this method.
I used to have my own machine shop on the side of my old house where I made tattoo machines from scratch (smelting, casting, machining, rolling coils etc). This started out as a hobby and turned in to full time business for a while, I’ve built thousands of them for artists all over the world. Sadly I don’t have my milling machine or lathe any more but I have almost everything else. I know I’m going off topic but here are a few examples if you’re interested. I’m not too shabby working with my hands and I made every part of these (apart from the capacitors obviously)
Anyway, back on track. You’re not spoiling my fun at all as I wouldn’t dare touch the frames until I was confident it would work. I managed to do a deal on the aluminium but if I were to need to replace the sheet it’s £1200 worth. If I end up adding a layer to the front of the aluminium to create a flush finish I may not need to risk the actual aluminium frames I've had cut.